Lakeside Golf and Country Club, located on the Old Shediac Road, five miles from downtown Moncton, proved to be the dream of a lifetime for one man and a way of life for another.
Dr L.H. Price was the man who dreamed of establishing a golf course on property he owned at Lakeside. Cecile Peak later established the Lakeside way of life. Both men, so different in many ways, had the same goal - to provide golfers and would-be golfers with a popular golf course.
Dr. L.H. Price, a prominent Moncton physician, owned many acres of land in the Lakeside area. A great number of Moncton residents had summer residences along the shore in the Point du Chêne and Brulé district; and with this number growing, he decided to construct a golf course.
Work commenced in the early 1930’s and after several years the course was available for play. The course proved popular and membership grew. Dr. Price engaged a first-rate professional, Tom Tonks, who also had a background in course construction and upkeep.
Dr Price operated the club until leasing it to two prominent Moncton businessmen, W.M. Humphrey and W.D. Allanach. Later they returned the club to Dr. Price who carried on until he leased the property to Cecil A. Peak. Peak and his partner Wendell Colpitts, managed the club until 1949 when Peake purchased his partner’s share; he operated the Lakeside Golf Club until his death in 1965.
During prohibition, many visits were made to the club by government inspectors. The club had a reputation of taking care of all members’ needs but it also managed to stay out of trouble. On the property were several old buildings, a deep stone well, a hidden cellar, and several well-locked lockers - but inspectors never once hit pay dirt. Under Cecil Peake’s direction, Lakeside became a way of life. He rapidly made the club the most popular and best-known social spot in the area.
He never neglected the course. A year never passed without a number of trees being planted. His innovations were unique, including the first tee which was a driving mat placed on the upstairs sun deck of the clubhouse. He founded the Lakeside’s famous Indian Room and Club. The club’s membership include outstanding professional athletes, world famous tennis stars, movie and stage stars.
Peake, a First World War veteran, was one of the founders of the War Memorial Tournament which was open to all veterans. This tournament was usually played on Remembrance Day.
In 1967, the property was sold to Edgar Cormier of Cap Pelé and his brother in law Henry Desaulles of Montreal.
In 1969, fire destroyed the clubhouse. A new clubhouse and swimming pool were completed in 1970.